Basic Tutorial On Writing A Research Paper In The MLA Format
This article is a short, tutorial-style guide on how to write a research paper using the MLA method and adhering to all other conventions required during the process of academic writing.
- What you need to do before you start
- Three key aspects of the Modern Language Association format
- Quotations – When inserting longer quotations into the body of your essay, indent these quotes so that readers can separate it from your own leading remark.
- Paragraphing – When beginning a new paragraph, always indent the first sentence. Keep paragraph lengths uniform and not longer than five sentences per paragraph.
- References – The Modern Language Association notes this page after the end of your essay as Works Sited. Use this heading. When noting the works, begin with the surname of the author then initials. Note in alphabetical order.
- Preparing for research
- MLA writing methodologies
- Three more notes on Modern Language Association writing
- Academic language – The writing language is lucid and objective. Paraphrasing of cited works is used sparingly.
- Vocabulary and jargon – Except when it is relevant to the statement, do not overwrite the paper with advanced vocabulary and subject-related jargon. Always strive towards creating work in your own words and using a voice that is indicative of your own, persuasive thoughts.
- CBT formatting – Use double-line spacing between each typed line. Separate each paragraph with at least four line spaces.
There are several methods to use when preparing research papers and writing them in line with several basic academic rules. The Modern Language Association style is one popularly used academic process. Find out first how to apply these conventions to your work.
The thesis statement or essay instructions require you to use the prescribed method. How well you utilize the conventions will have a bearing on your final essay mark.
When complying with the article’s headlined format, proper research has to be done. The process is complex and extensive when you are using these methods for the first time, but they are not difficult to master.
Perfecting the MLA style so that it becomes a natural writing process for you will take some practice. Carefully align your reading and study schedule with rough notes and hand-written drafts not longer than one page in length.
This academic style is popular, and an accepted practice for most advanced learning institutions because it is functional and practical to use. This short tutorial has given you a few basic hints on how you can embrace the formats as an accomplished academic writer.